Monday, April 28, 2008

And So What We Have Learned...

applies to our lives today.
God has a lot to say,
in His book.
And so we know that God's word
is for everyone
now that the song is done
we'll take a look.


No particular reason for that besides my inherent insanity. It's kinda catchy if you hear it enough times...

So here's my first late post. Not that I guaranteed they happen every Sunday, but that's what I'm aiming for. It appears I have the option to change the time displayed for the post, but that would be downright dishonest. As far as excuses go, I've got a halfway decent one. Being the procrastinatory prodigy that I am, I managed to put off studying for my 8am Monday final until 10pm Sunday night. I had this three night plan all worked up and ended up just completely disregarding it. It was a math course, so there were a fair amount of things to study too. It ended up fine, I hope. The exam seemed to go well enough anyway.

As for the sermon yesterday morning, it was a fairly mellow deal. I was back in my hometown this weekend. I'm not saying it's better or worse, but the services there have a lower energy level than those I've been attending at college. In any case, I'll be getting back used to them as classes end this week.

The message I would rather talk about today was one I listened to in the evening. There was a youth get-together thing going on, and I tagged along for it. My verse for the week (Ecclesiastes 9:10 for late-comers) ties into what the speaker spoke on. He talked about being where you are. It sounds a little strange just like that, but it's a pretty serious topic. A lot of the time when we're at work or class or even just with friends, we aren't there mentally. We could be day dreaming, planning out the rest of the day, worrying about upcoming projects or any number of other things. The important part is that whatever they are, they're keeping us from being where we should be.

This topic strikes pretty close to home right here in college life. Way, way too often, I find myself distracted in class. With a laptop and more or less campus-wide wi-fi, it's pretty hard to stay grounded. Even though I have this absurd (and frankly annoying) tendency to score well despite the numerous reasons I don't deserve to, it's starting to catch up. Classes are fast placed and info packed, and a habit like that could prove to be my academic undoing. Heaven knows it should already have by now, but it hasn't yet. This summer, I'm going to try to steer away from the laptop a little more often. Even if it means playing more video games (oh the agony) or something, my hope is that it will help wean me off.

Out for now. I'll probably send the link to here out soon, hopefully with next chapter of my infamous story. ;)

Woah, woah, woah. I almost forgot my interesting thing for the week (not that this will probably end up being a trend). I saw a couple of old dudes at my campus this week. I saw them twice on the same day. The first time, they were walking down a sidewalk with a couple shopping carts filled with medium-sized boxes. At this point, anything I (or likely you at this point) thought was terribly flattering or anything close to the truth. As I passed them, I saw a stamp on one of the boxes that read "Gideons International". Quite a different situation all of a sudden. The next time I saw them, they were outside the library (where I work) and would ask passing students "can I give you a copy of the Bible?" When I went past, I smiled and told them thanks, but I had my own back in my dorm room. It was really nice to see them out there.

1 comment:

jane said...

You and I share a similar affliction, as far as not 'being there'. Although, I don't get to have my laptop in class :P